Freitag, 18. August 2023


I hadn't spoken to Armin for a few years. When I decided to call the X-mist office a few months ago, I was surprised that I didn't have to look up the number. I'd known it by heart for over 35 years because I'd called it so often, especially in the nineties. It wasn't that I regularly ordered by phone - I lived close enough to just drive there and spend hours in their shop - I just loved catching up on music when I felt like it.  Although I studied his newsletters almost academically, I knew there was always more to learn from him when I caught him on the phone. Not once did he brush me off with the argument that he didn't have time to chat with me anymore because he had to go back to work. Encouraging the youthful enthusiasm of his "customers" for music he considered first and foremost his job; actual sales came second.


Back to that phone call. I was surprised that Ute picked up. Normally I always got Armin right away. She said it was so nice of me to call because I 'must have heard about Armin'. 'Heard of what?', I replied. That's how I found out about Armin's illness and that Ute was in the process of spreading the sad news among friends. Ute and I talked for quite a while and she told me I could reach him a little later. Boy, was I nervous to call Armin.  When he picked up, I didn't say my name, but just asked, "Are you still wearing that blue Big Star shirt, or have you finally got yourself a second piece of clothing?". He laughed and immediately knew it was me. The shirt was a running gag between us. He only briefly mentioned his health problems in that call. We talked mainly about our shared interest in African music. That was one of his great qualities: it was never about him, but always about the music.

Back to that shirt. Many years ago I asked him about his favourite Big Star song. "Who is Big Star?", he replied. I couldn't believe it: he, of all people, had no idea that he had been wearing a band shirt for decades. He told me that the shirt arrived at his house in a package as "filling stuff". BIG STAR!! How funny, how ironic, and yet how fitting. Obviously big stars weren't his thing, but to me he was and is just that: a fixed star who guided me (and I'm sure many of you) with his impeccable taste in music and consequent business ethics. I have no doubt that Armin and X-Mist will be referred to as the true "coole Scheiße" by underground music lovers and label makers for decades to come.

Now Armin is somewhere up there with the other stars. Shine on, my dear friend.

- Marc Calmbach -





Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

 Letzte Möglichkeit für ein Päckchen aus dem Schwarzwald Es ist unglaublich, das Lager hat sich geleert... es sind nur noch wenige Platten d...